M: Where can I learn more about appealing my property taxes?

Contact your local tax assessor's office to see what procedures to follow to appeal your property tax assessment. You may be able to appeal your assessment informally. Mostly likely, however, you will have to go through a formal tax-appeal processes, which begin with an appeal filed with the appropriate assessment appeals board.

In some areas it is common to use an attorney to file the appeal on your behalf, and they are paid a portion of the difference your taxes are reduced by if they win, and are paid nothing if the appeal fails. In some areas, only the homeowner can file appeals representing themselves.